Sunday 17 November 2013

Tomato Soup

Makes 4-6 bowlfuls of a tasty and filling 'everyday' tomato soup.

Put a tiny amount of oil in a pan, roughly chop a couple of onions (three if they are small) and a clove or two of garlic (it's all going to be blended later, so no need to be dainty) and soften for a couple of minutes.

Add a tin of tomatoes then refill the tin with water and add this to the pan too. Bring to the boil adding a couple of chopped carrots (three or four if they are small). Add some black pepper, a pinch of parsley, a pinch of basil and a squirt of tomato purée (about 2-3 tsps). Leave to simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes, until the carrots are soft.

If I am making this is in advance I usually switch the heat off at this point and leave it to cool for an hour or so before sticking the wand blender in. Taste it and adjust the seasoning (it may benefit from a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar).

If I was going to serve it straight away I would probably simmer it for an extra 5-10 mins and then blend.

If you don't have a blender, then give it a good bash with a potato masher (and push it through a sieve with a spoon if you want it a bit smoother)

This reheats well and is fine in the microwave, so is good to take to work for lunch. It should freeze okay too.





For more ideas, follow me on twitter @Tyne_Teas




Please visit my Intro post for more about my blog and me - I hope you enjoy my recipes : )

No comments:

Post a Comment